Kinesiology Track, Public Health, AS

This is a draft edition of the 2024-2025 catalog. Information is subject to change.

Program Description

The Associate of Science, Public Health, Kinesiology Track provides the lower division coursework towards bachelor degrees in community health, public health, health education, and other related areas and satisfies the lower division major requirements towards the UNR Bachelor of Science in Public Health, Kinesiology Specialization. The B.S. in Public Health Kinesiology prepares students for work in coaching, physical education instruction, and personal training. In addition, it is an excellent preparation for applying to Professional Schools in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Physician Assistant Programs.

Public Health Career Map

Recommended Course Schedule

Plan of Study Grid
1st semesterUnits
English 5 3
Fine Arts/Diversity 5 3
Mathematics 5 3
NUTR 121 Human Nutrition 3
PBH 101
Introduction to Public Health
or Foundations of Personal Health and Wellness
 Semester Total15
2nd semester
Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology
and Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory
CHEM 121 General Chemistry I (with Lab) 4
English 5 3
Elective 6 1
PBH 120
Foundations of Personal Health and Wellness
or Introduction to Public Health
 Semester Total15
3rd semester
BIOL 223 Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4
Electives 6 4
Social Science/Diversity 5 3
PBH 220 Introduction to Public Health Biology 3
 Semester Total14
4th semester
BIOL 224 Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4
Electives 6 6
PBH 281 Introduction to Biostatistics in Public Health 3
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions/Humanities 6 3
 Semester Total16
 Total Units60

See approved General Education list for AA/AS Degree


See program recommendations or requirements.

Program Requirements

AA/AS degrees are designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university.  

To earn an AA/AS degree, students must:

  1. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (see requirements for graduation.)
  2. Complete a minimum of 15 units within the college.
  3. Satisfy General Education requirements for the AA/AS.
  4. Have no financial or library obligation to the college.
General Education Requirements
English 13-6
Composition II
Composition II For International and Multilingual Students
Fine Arts3
Pre-Calculus I (or higher)
Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology
and Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology Laboratory
CHEM 121General Chemistry I4
Social Science3
General Psychology
Additional College Requirements
Diversity 2[3]
Science 2[6]
U.S. and Nevada Constitution 2[3]
Degree Requirements
BIOL 223Human Anatomy and Physiology I4
BIOL 224Human Anatomy and Physiology II4
NUTR 121Human Nutrition3
PBH 101Introduction to Public Health3
PBH 120Foundations of Personal Health and Wellness3
PBH 220Introduction to Public Health Biology3
PBH 281Introduction to Biostatistics in Public Health3
Select 11-14 units of the following11-14
General Microbiology
Medical Terminology 4
Introduction to Environmental Health
PEX/DAN (up to 2 units)
Or any transferable college-level units
Total Units60

If you place into ENG 102 or ENG 114, the additional 3 required units will become elective units. 


Course may also count toward degree requirements.  Please consult with Academic Advisement.


 Will substitute for PBH 334 at UNR.


 Will substitute for KIN 111 at UNR.

Program Outcomes

Students completing the degree will:

PSLO1: Recognize how the social, cultural, economic, political, geographical, and biological environments affect personal and community health.

PSLO2: Describe and apply behavioral strategies to promote personal health and wellness, and disease and illness prevention.

PSLO3: Demonstrate the ability to gather and interpret evidence-based information, and effectively communicate, in both written and oral formats, on topics related to community health.

PSLO4: Describe the mechanics and physiology of the human body as it relates to physical health.

Transfer Agreements

AA/AS degrees are designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university. General information about general transfer agreements can be found on the Academic Advisement website. Students who intend to transfer to another college or university should speak with a TMCC Academic Advisor and consult with that institution. The transfer institution determines how TMCC courses will transfer. TMCC has agreements with the following institutions towards a bachelor's degree in the same or similar discipline.