This is a draft edition of the 2024-2025 catalog. Information is subject to change.

Location: Admissions and Records Office, Red Mountain Building 319
Phone: 775-673-7042
Fax: 775-673-7028

TMCC students sitting outside on the lawn outside of the Red Mountain Building Student Center

Admission to the College

TMCC follows the Community College Admission – General Policy outlined in the NSHE Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 16, Section 18. Students wishing to enroll at TMCC must complete an Application for Admission, which includes a one-time $20 non-refundable fee (even if classes are full, you dropped, or classes are canceled) and follow the Steps to Enroll.

Admission Status:

Students can be admitted to TMCC as either a Degree-Seeking student or Non Degree-Seeking student:

Degree-Seeking Status

To be admitted to TMCC as a degree-seeking student, students must meet one of the following criteria: be a graduate of a high school or its equivalent (certificate of attendance is not equivalent to high school graduation), or be a qualified international student.

Students who do not meet the above criteria will be admitted, but they will be assigned the status of non degree-seeking. Students who are non degree-seeking are not eligible to receive financial aid or some scholarships.

Students Who Do Not Qualify for Degree-Seeking Status 

Students who are not high school graduates or its equivalent or international students who do not meet the ACCUPLACER requirements for ENG 101* and MATH 120 without MATH 20 corequisite support, will remain admitted as non degree-seeking. These students will be referred to:

Changing From Non Degree-Seeking to Degree-Seeking

To qualify for degree-seeking status, students must:

  • Provide official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution demonstrating successful completion of six college units in English, Math, or other general education courses, or take the equivalent at TMCC; or
  • Request and present official ACT or SAT transcripts. Transcripts must show a minimum course placement of ENG 101* and MATH 120 without MATH 20 corequisite support; or
  • Take one of the two state-approved High School Equivalency (HSE) exams and present evidence of an official HSE transcript showing successful completion.

Current state-approved High School Equivalency (HSE) exams:

* Placement into ENG 100 does not qualify as placement directly into ENG 101.

Time Limitation for Degree-Seeking Undeclared/Undecided

Students are limited to “Degree-Seeking Undeclared/ Undecided” for two semesters, after which they must declare a degree or certificate. Fall, Spring, and Summer each count as one semester. Those who do not declare a degree or certificate will be placed into non degree status. Students who are non degree seeking are not eligible to receive financial aid, veterans education benefits, and some scholarships.