Math/English Placement Testing
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Initial Placement of Students into Math and English Courses
Degree-seeking students who meet or exceed the minimum English or mathematics scores on any one of the college readiness assessments listed below must be placed into a college-level course in that subject and are exempt from being placed into any form of remedial instruction in that subject provided that the student:
- Was continuously enrolled in an English course and a mathematics course in his or her senior year of high school unless an exception is approved on a case by case basis by an NSHE institution; and
- Enrolls in an NSHE institution after high school in any term (summer/fall/winter/spring) during the academic year following high school graduation.
English College Readiness Assessments
|SAT Critical Reading||500|
|Smarter Balanced||2583 (Achievement Level 3)|
|PARCC||Level 4 Score|
Math College Readiness Assessments
|Smarter Balanced||2626 (Achievement Level 3)|
|PARCC||Level 4 Score|
For more information, please see the Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 16, Section 1.
Students planning to enroll in math and/or English classes at TMCC and who do not have current ACT/SAT test scores (less than two years old) should take the ACCUPLACER placement exam unless they meet the Alternate Pathways requirements described below. Many courses at TMCC require specific ACCUPLACER math and/or English scores as prerequisites for registration. Students may waive the ACCUPLACER requirement with ACT and/or SAT scores that are less than two years old. Official ACT and/or SAT scores must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office.
Washoe County School District (WCSD) high school graduates that are new students at TMCC can use Alternate Pathways for placement into college-level English and math courses within 2 years of high school graduation.
- WCSD graduates with an overall unweighted GPA >= 3.0 may enroll in ENG 101, Recommended READ 135 or ENG 113, Recommended Non-Native READ 135.
- AP English course (passing with “C” or better) may enroll in ENG 101, Recommended READ 135 or ENG 113, Recommended READ 135.
- WCSD graduates with an overall unweighted GPA >= 3.0 and complete Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 3-4 in WCSD) with a grade of B or higher may enroll in MATH 120 or MATH 126.
Students must have an active admission application and valid government-issued photo identification to take the ACCUPLACER exam at TMCC. ACCUPLACER testing is offered at Testing Services on a walk-in basis.
ACCUPLACER test scores take up to three business days to post to student accounts. Students will not be able to register for classes that have ACCUPLACER scores as prerequisites until scores are posted.
Accommodations for Documented Disabilities
If you are a student with a documented disability and would like to receive accommodations for the ACCUPLACER/Placement test, please schedule an appointment with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) to present your documentation before you take the ACCUPLACER/Placement test. Under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), any student who needs accommodations which require special testing environments should be scheduled well in advance of the start of the term; requests within three weeks prior to the start of the term may not be possible to schedule.
Course Placement Scores
The highest valid score within the past twenty-four month period will determine course placement for students. TMCC’s English and Math Departments determine the ACCUPLACER cut score information for new and continuing students. Please see the respective English Department and Math Department web pages for course placement scores and policies. TMCC reserves the right to change course placement scores.