Skills Certificate, Emergency Medical Technician
This skills certificate is designed for individuals who anticipate working with an ambulance service, a hospital emergency department, fire department, police department, mining operation or in other occupational fields where medical emergencies are common. At the successful completion of this course, the student will receive EMT-Basic Certification from the State of Nevada.
Students completing the certificate will:
- Demonstrate the ability to understand the roles and responsibilities within an EMS system, methods to stay healthy and to prevent job related injuries in the field.
- Demonstrate the ability to gain knowledge of basic legal issues that impact decisions made in the field and the importance of ethics when making these decisions.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate psychologically and sociologically with all ages and cultures of patients in the prehospital environment.
Note: This degree/certificate leads to professional licensure. Licensing requirements vary by state/territory and relocating could impact whether you will meet eligibility requirements for licensure. Please visit our Professional Licensure Programs page for full details on State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.
Class requirements include State of Nevada EMT certified, 18 years of age or older, current AHA health care provider CPR card, medical insurance, proof of two-step negative TB Skin test or negative chest X-ray, current Tetanus/Diptheria (TD), Hepatitis B (2nd in the series of 3), proof of 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), proof of Varicella (Chicken Pox), Background check from www.mystudentcheck.com, 5 panel drug testing from ARC.
Skills Certificates provide training for entry level positions or career advancement and are designed to prepare students to take state, national and/or industry-recognized certifications or licensing exams. Skills certificates are awarded upon completion of coursework and marked on a student's transcripts at the end of the semester (Student are unable to declare intent to complete a skills certificate.) Skills Certificates are not eligible for Financial Aid.
To earn a skills certificate, students must:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Have no financial or library obligation to the college
|EMS 108||Emergency Medical Technician Training||6|
|EMS 108||Emergency Medical Technician Training 1||6|
Prerequisite: Current healthcare provider CPR card, proof of health insurance, MMR, TD, Hepatitis B, 2-step TB skin test and 18 years of age.