Choice of Catalog for Graduation
Students may elect to graduate under one of the following catalogs as long as the catalog selected is not more than 6 years old. Students may not use a combination of course catalogs for graduation. Summer session is included in the previous course catalog year, i.e., Summer 2018 would be under the 2017-2018 course catalog.
- Matriculation: The catalog in effect the year that a student initially attends a class at TMCC. Workforce Development and Community Education (WDCE) and Career and Technical Education (CTE) College Credit classes do not apply towards initial attendance / enrollment.
- Degree Declaration: The catalog in effect the year a student officially declares a degree, emphasis or certificate.
- First Offered: If a degree, emphasis or certificate is offered for the first time after a student has matriculated, they may follow the catalog requirements for the year it is first offered.
- Graduation: The catalog in effect the year that a student will graduate. Nursing, Radiologic Technician, Dental Assisting, Dental Hygiene and Veterinary Technician programs require students to graduate under the course catalog year they were accepted into the program. If students interrupt their college studies for more than two consecutive semesters, including Summer session, the College encourages them to meet the requirements of the course catalog year under which they will complete the requirements for the degree, emphasis, or certificate.
Transferring in Units Towards Graduation
Students wishing to apply units earned at other institutions must submit an official transcript showing the posted grades to the Admissions and Records Office and complete the Credit Evaluation for Transfer Student form. Transcripts showing courses "in progress" may not be used towards graduation.
Students must satisfy all of the following requirements to earn a degree or certificate of achievement at TMCC:
- Submit a completed Application for Graduation to the Admissions and Records Office for each degree or certificate of achievement earned. Students may earn multiple degrees/certificates subsequently or simultaneously, provided that they satisfy the requirements for each degree. The application(s) must include the Graduate Outcomes Survey. Deadline dates for filing these applications are:
|Fall Semester||November 1|
|Spring Semester||April 1|
|Summer Session||June 1|
If the first of the month falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following Monday. Applications submitted after the deadline may be considered for the next semester. The date of graduation that will appear on a student’s diploma/certificate and permanent academic record is the last month of the semester in which the application for graduation is approved.
- Complete 15 semester, degree-applicable units "in residence". This means that a student must complete a minimum of 15 degree-applicable units in person or through Web College at TMCC. This applies to all associate degrees and certificates of achievement. Developmental courses are not degree applicable. Units awarded for challenge examinations, military training, continuing education units, proprietary schools, Dual Credit through Washoe County Schools, Peace Officers Standard Training, American Institute of Banking, and Advanced American Red cross are not considered in residence.
- Maintain a minimum, overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework at TMCC. The overall cumulative GPA is calculated by combining the GPA of all courses taken at TMCC and the GPA of transfer courses used to fulfill the degree or certificate requirements.
- Meet all financial and library obligations to the Nevada System of Higher Education. If a student has any outstanding debt, they may pay it at the Cashier’s Office. Library obligations can be cleared through the Elizabeth Sturm Library.
- Complete the curriculum requirements for the degree, emphasis, or certificate according to their Choice of Catalog for Graduation (Matriculation, Degree Declaration, First Offered, Graduation).
All graduating students are encouraged to participate in Commencement, which is held at the close of the Spring semester each year. At that time, all degrees and certificates of achievement are conferred upon the Fall, Spring and Summer graduates for the year. Diplomas are not handed out at Commencement. Please see the Commencement website for additional information.
TMCC is pleased to provide the following information regarding our institution's graduation/completion and transfer-out rates. The information is provided in compliance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. The rates reflect the graduation, completion and transfer-out status of students who enrolled during the Fall 2013 semester and for whom 150% of the normal time-to-completion has elapsed.
During the fall semester of 2013, 618 first-time, full-time, certificate or degree-seeking students entered TMCC. After 3 years, 31% of these students had graduated from our institution or completed their programs and 13% had transferred to other higher education institutions.
Questions related to this report should be directed to:
Institutional Research, Analysis and Effectiveness Office
While reviewing this information, please bear in mind:
· Graduation and transfer-out rates are based on 3 years of attendance that equates to 150% of our longest program.
· Graduation (and transfer-out) rates do not include students who left the school to serve in the armed forces, on official church missions, or in the foreign service of the federal government. Students who died or were totally and permanently disabled are also excluded.
· The majority of TMCC's students are not full-time (In Fall 2016, only 28% enrolled in 12 or more units per semester), and graduation is not the only measure of success for all of our students.