Public Safety, Skills Certificate
Advanced Emergency Medical Technician
This skills certificate will provide training for students to work in the pre-hospital care environment. The student will build upon skills learned in the EMT class and learn how to perform invasive skills. This class will teach the student how to orally intubate a non-breathing patient, start an intravenous (IV) line, and administer medications via many different routes. The student will also learn more information on body systems and disease processes in both adults and children. This skills certificate will prepare students to receive EMT-Advanced Certification from the State of Nevada.
Students completing the certificate will:
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend proper history taking techniques and apply the process of clinical decision making and to use assessment findings to help form a field impression.
- Demonstrate the ability to explain the pathophysiological significance of examination findings.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively document the essential elements of a patient assessment and follow an accepted format for dissemination of the patient information in verbal form, either in person or on the radio.
Class requirements include State of Nevada EMT certified, 18 years of age or older, current AHA health care provider CPR card, medical insurance, proof of two-step negative TB Skin test or negative chest X-ray, current Tetanus/Diptheria (TD), Hepatitis B (2nd in the series of 3), proof of 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), proof of Varicella (Chicken Pox), Background check receipt from www.mystudentcheck.com, 5 panel drug testing from ARC and current drivers license or state identification.
Skills Certificates provide training for entry level positions or career advancement and are designed to prepare students to take state, national and/or industry-recognized certifications or licensing exams. Skills certificates are awarded upon completion of coursework and marked on a student's transcripts at the end of the semester (Student are unable to declare intent to complete a skills certificate.) Skills Certificates are not eligible for Financial Aid.
To earn a skills certificate, students must:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Have no financial or library obligation to the college
|EMS 115||Advanced Emergency Medical Technician||7|
|EMS 115||Advanced Emergency Medical Technician 1||7|
Prerequisite: Nevada EMT-B certification, current healthcare provider CPR card (AHA or ARC), proof of health insurance, MMR, Hepatitis B, TD and 2-Step TBS skin test within 1 year.