Certificate of Achievement - Fire Technology
Students completing the certificate will:
- Learn about the different theaters of firefighting and prevention.
- Identify and properly use the different equipment needed in the different theaters of firefighting.
While all of the educational programs at Truckee Meadows Community College are designed to lead to either employment or transfer, the Department of Education requires that we provide information on specific certificate programs. More information on Gainful Employment is available on the the TMCC website. We hope this information is helpful to you as you make your career and educational choices.
Certificates of Achievement are a set of courses within an AAS degree that can serve as a stepping stone to an AAS degree or allow students to enter the workforce. Certificates of Achievement have a general education component.
To earn a Certificate of Achievement, students must:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (see requirements for graduation.)
- Complete a minimum of 15 semester credit hours within the college.
- Satisfy General Education requirements for the AAS.
- Have no financial or library obligation to the college.
|General Education Requirements 1|
|Leadership and Human Relations|
|FT 101||Introduction to Fire Protection||3|
|FT 125||Build Construction I||3|
|FT 131||Hazardous Materials||3|
|FT 200||Leadership and Ethics in Emergency Service||3|
|Six additional units required. Select from the following or other FS courses listed in the catalog:||6|
|Basic Wildland Firefighting|
|Fire Prevention I|
EMS 108 Emergency Medical Technician I Basic Training is strongly recommended in addition to the other requirements.
Fire Technology students without prior fire service experience must take FT 101 Introduction to Fire Protection before entering the fire academy.
The curriculum follows National Wildland Cooperation Group standards.